[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:53:30 -0500

I refuse to hit an older more historical fellow. C
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Don McKechnie=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:05 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

  Wouldn't it be great to see Chris argue his point with Malcolm Bilson. =
Might turn into a slug fest! :-) Having lived here in Ithaca (the land =
of historical performance practice) for some time, I find listening to =
music performed on historical instruments interesting at least for an =
academic standpoint. And, occasionally it is a great musical experience. =
Cornell has a couple of pianos from the mid 1800's that sound very good =
and when played by a skilled pianist, can be very rewarding to hear. =
Just my humble opinion.

  Don

     I may as well take this opportunity to come out of the closet and =
reveal my bias, actually a pet peave, just to be fair. In case anyone =
wasn't catching the drift, I have almost no use for historical =
instruments. I can't imagine any musician of the day, say Franz Liszt, =
looking for "the good old piano." Most often professional pianists, =
unless they are looking for novelty, or are overcome with this absurd =
nostalgia for "original instruments," look for the best new piano they =
can find. 'Cause the design is up to date and the parts are new and it =
plays like they expect. Everything else is ANOMALY. And unless your =
customer is of that ilk I'd stick to I-95. (I do make one notable =
exception and that is reproductions. They make for wonderful =
"Historical" concerts although I do think the whole concept is a bit =
hysterical). Of course Stephen, be attentive to what Bill Shull and =
others are warning of cause this isn't I-95, but get as close as you can =
and a "NORMAL" customer will be happy. And BTW, sorry Bill, we're full =
at MARC and printed for this year, but I have forwarded your shameless =
self invitation to Steve and Paul and will put in a good word for you.
    Best to All,
     Chris Solliday =20