[CAUT] Re: Liszt, historical pianos et. al.disccusion and links

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:58:17 -0500

Hi, Richard,

No, I'm not working on an 1830's or earlier instrument (though I do have an 1836 Erard upright with no metal reinforcement, completely unplayable...and very pretty...)  Just pointing out that the Erard from the mid-1820's on through the late 19th century was a remarkably similar instrument.  The compass expanded, and a second generation repetition action was used halfway through the century.  The damper action remained under the strings, I believe the first damper action widely used which quickly suppressed sustain.  As far as a cast iron plate, none was ever used until about 1900, instead the Erard retained the hitch pin plate/iron bars with flanges at the pinblock.

However, I believe that sometime in the 1860s Erard began using cast steel wire instead of iron wire.  Maybe mixed the wire and still used iron in the top, or not, I hope to know at some point.

You mentioned Stephen Birkett, who I first got to know on the Pianotech list 5 years ago because of our mutual interest in the mid-19th century piano, except that Stephen is in a better position to build a replica someday, especially if someone would throw $100k at him to do it (my figure, don't know what his would be).  I think he owns an 85 note Erard which could make an excellent pattern.  He might be watching us on this list....Stephen, I'd love to know how the Erard project might be coming along, as well as the Boissolet (Liszt toured with a Boissolet in 1844-5)

"My" Erard (shared with my former musicology professor) is an 80 note instrument (C to G).  But the action is original, very clean and quite unworn.  Hammers are felt, but with several layers of buckskin and felt underneath.   Original wire, none broken, but the bass string wrapping has disintegrated.  Bass strings are definitely a Pure Sound candidate, possibly the entire piano.  Has the typical fatal pinblock failures, which I will first attempt to repair with epoxy (others have succeeded with this approach).

There are a lot of Erards around still.  But the 85 note with iron wire would provide a good basis for a replica covering several decades of Erards.

As far as its usefulness to musical study, well, some of that is obviously subjective.  As the piano professor at one of my past schools was quoted ot have said, "I'll never let one of those old pianos in THIS school."  In the right context (say, an academic symposium) even she would probably acknowledge the musicological value of period instruments, but she didn't have to like them.  Whereas some of us might not only see the value, but also enjoy the period esthetic and seek to find and discover what we haven't yet heard (as in the need for a replica Erard).  I don't consider the Erard sound particularly modern, it retains much more registration color difference.  I am expecting a replica to have a sweet but somewhat more powerful sound than the Graf you described, with more sustain and power than the original Erards, less of that "woody" sound; but also not like the modern piano due to the iron wire.  Liszt's reasons for choosing the Erard (power, clarity) should be sufficient for some to want to rediscover the sound.

Yes, Liszt probably played some Broadwoods in England, along with his preferred Erards (there WAS a London Erard factory) and whatever else he found.   Alan Walker writes that "in Ireland, at the little market town of Clonmel, Liszt played on a small Tompkinson upright, which rattled and shook as he performed." Franz Liszt, vol. 1 p. 286.  So his "sound world" varied considerably....

No, I don't think we should impose on Liszt our modern ideas of period performance, insisting that once he had a big modern piano he would want to keep his 1823 Erard - even though the Met Museum Liszt Erard is an 1860's piano;  the experience was too recent, and the evolution of the piano too rapid, for such thoughts.  But those who are interested can find a interpretive goldmine.

Bill