[CAUT] Econ. Affairs Article

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:50:58 -0400

Cy

This is something I could include in my article. I will do some research on it with the legal beagles here at UA.

Wim

-----Original Message-----
From: Cy Shuster <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:26:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Econ. Affairs Article

Fred,

Here's a question: I was asked by a college to supervise a move, on a per-hour basis (no contract).  They provided the truck and the personnel (including the driver).  I just disassembled and reassembled the piano, and gave instruction on how to move it (OK, and did some shoving, too).

What is my liability if the piano falls off the ramp while I'm pushing on it (with others)?  What if the truck is in an accident while I'm riding in it (but not driving)?  What if I'm following the truck in my own car and there's a problem?  I thought long and hard about many such possible scenarios.  They got into a bind just before a big concert, and couldn't find a mover.  The local piano store didn't want to do it, but lent the skid, dolly, and ramp.

I guess we're into what a jury might consider that a "reasonable and prudent" person would do...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV