[CAUT] Performance facility inventory

Ron Poire poire001@umn.edu
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:20:23 -0500

At the University of Minnesota, we have a 1250 seat public venue, attached
to the school of music, where the U orchestra performs, jazz combos and
ensembles perform, as well as the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra.
In the Ted Mann Concert hall, which I just wrote about, We have two D's,
purchased two years ago, a Yamaha CFIII 15 years old.
In the Lloyd Ultan recital hall, 160 seats, we have two D's, one five years
old, and the other one from 1979.  The older instrument has been
refinnished.  Both pianos have climate control systems, which keeps the
tuning stable.  Our class/lecture room, (auditorium style) seats
abbroximately the same amount of people.  It has a Boesendorfer, 7-4, with
the extra four keys.  It has a new board and new Renner action.  This one
goes back to the 1940's and was donated.
We have the choir room, which has a Boston loaner which holds 100.

We don't allow prepared piano pieces on the pianos in the Ultan recital
hall.  We make students rehearse on and use the D in the band room, which
is next door.  This D goes back to 1960.   We aren't quite so fussy about
the trichord dampers.

Incidentally, we just became an all Steinway school.