[CAUT] vertical hammers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:47:57 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/2005 10:26:45 AM Central Standard Time,
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

I have  seen, at a convention class, or the list, or the Guild magazine, a
gizmo  for scoring the shank, to allow, trapped air to escape.
I think it was a  piece of wood, with a hole drilled in it, the size of the
shank, then it  had a screw in it, where the point was into the hole.
You just inserted the  shank, and it was scored to the depth the point was
out.
John M.  Ross

I inherited from my dad a shank knurler. It is a disk with groves in it,
that is attached to a crank. It has a curved piece of metal parallel to the
disk, that can be adjusted with a set screw, to allow the distance between the
disk and the curved metal piece to vary. (for different shank sizes, or more or
less knurling). You can attach it to a bench with screws, or a clamp. He
probably got it when he worked for Stark.

I use it when I replace a whole set of shanks. When I do just one, I use a
pair of pliers, to gently knurl the shank.

Wim