[CAUT] vertical hammers

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:40:57 -0700

Leslie,

This is probably a bit late (only working 2 - 10s this summer) but for what
it's worth: I think it is an exceedingly bad idea (a false economy) to put
new hammers on 100 year old shanks. The butt buckskin and underfelt will
need replacing, all springs will need replacing. It goes on and on. One
hundred year old action parts all need to be replaced. Period. Sounds a bit
dogmatic, I admit, but I would not do that job unless the client agreed to
complete part replacement. It's actually cheaper to replace a set of wips
(or butts or dampers) than recondition a set, unless of course you work for
minimum wage.

Just MHO.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT