[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:07:11 -0400

David Steinbuhler (the small keyboard maker at www.steinbuhler.com) has been collecting these numbers empirically, measuring B's to build a universal B action.  Perhaps he would share with you.

----- Original Message -----

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 7/19/2005 2:44:42 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Steinway stack height

Hi All,

I’m sure somebody out there knows the specs for the distance from the keybed to hammerflange center and keybed to wippen center for a Steinway B. I have these written down somewhere but can’t find them and I don’t trust my memory. I’m correcting a problematic action and believe the stack to be too high since to get the proper blow distance the shank cushions have been reduced to nubs. The bore distance of the hammers is correct and the string heights are in the normal range.

Thanks!

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Supervising Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music