[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:06:40 -0400

"B" at note 62 in NYC hammer flange 5 3/4"
rep flange 3 1/4"  based on string height of 7 1/2"    you didn't say if =
pre 84 or post or the new incarnation but the spread pre 84 was  4.381" =
and post 84 was 4.395"  This may have changed on the latest and greatest =
and for that I suggest you call Kent Webb or email him.  I think it is =
important to note that according to Mike Mohr's Forefinishing Notes, =
which I consider a reliable source, "Set Action Frame Height" says =
"IMPORTANT NOTE: the action stack height, as determined by the thickness =
of the mounting blocks. This action height is unique for each =
instrument, and is the result of the individual string height for a =
piano. String height variables are the result of the plate fitting and =
belly operations... String heights change from bass to treble usually in =
an arched or crowned manner. These numbers for note # 62 represent an =
average. Maintaining the relationship between the stack height and the =
string height ensures: A) the proper BLOW distance at the same time the =
hammershank is properly off the cushion. and B) the proper HAMMER =
ROTATION is needed to minimize overstriking or shallow striking =
conditon. NOTE; if string height is lower or higher than above, keep the =
relationship the same..." (and later after shimming or planing the bass =
and treble mounting blocks) "continually check for straightness with the =
straightedge on top of the hammershank flanges." I know you only asked =
for numbers, but what the heck, I felt like sharing. BTW I'm sure you =
remember that we discovered when shimming or planning it is best to =
rotate the stack on the hammer flange pin axis which means adjusting the =
front foot differently than the back foot. Of course there are even =
greater subtleties to this process but then you did just ask for the =
numbers. Stay well, Chris Solliday =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20