[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:54:59 -0500

Thanks Chris,

I'll save your post and look up the others you mention.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Chris
Solliday
  Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:44 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway stack height

  Gravity works better to keep the tails too low too long so the repetition
lever miss fires and the backcheck locks it all up. I think you'll find an
even better explanation from Jim Ellis in the archives. I think also Ric
Brekne had some interesting things to say as well at that time. It was about
six or eight months ago if my memory is functioning. This phenom can be
associated with loose rep centers or too weak a spring or hammers too high
off the cushion at rest. The old metal "bridle" they used to put on wippens
kept it from happening. Also if your hammers are too heavy and the action
ratio too low and the the key dip too deep you can easily get this problem
on hard fast repetition low in the key dip. One fix is to raise the stack in
the back so lowering it makes it worse or more likely.  Chris Solliday.