[CAUT] hands & wrists

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:25:22 -0600

I carry four hammers, two I made myself, a stubby and an impact.  Stubby
gets used only on grands, but it is not uncommon for me to use all three of
the others on a single tuning. I find that the Karma or the Cosmic Ooze, or
my crown on my left side, or vibrations from my first mother-in-law all seem
to be influences and having several tools of different sizes available has
been most valuable for me.  Two hammers I made myself, using a Schaff
extension bar and then a 1/2" stainless "extension added.  Then I went to
work with a grinder....  I kept shortening and lighetning till I have one
that is about 8" and one that is about 10", plus stubby and impact.  I put a
1 1/2 inch ball on the ends, and I have never had any troubles.  Because I
got the welds free, I have about $25 wrapped up in all the materials.  I can
prove nothing of course, but I think the variety has been a helpful thing.
les
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
ed440@mindspring.com
  Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 6:33 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] hands & wrists

    I suggest you try using a ball end hammer.

    Ed S

  Wim wrote:

  With all the pounding I do with my left hand fingers, especially the
middle one, I expected that hand to be the first to suffer from some sort of
ailment. But the middle finger of my right hand, the tuning lever hand, is
what is bothering me. In the morning when I first get up, I can hardly bend
it, but then later in the day, I can't straighten it out. I hold the hammer
by the end, and do not have a ball on the end of my lever. The only thing I
can attribute it to is racquet ball. I play hard about 2 or 3 times a week
for about an hour and a half. But it doesn't hurt while I'm playing.

  Wim