[CAUT] Schnittke piano concerto -- was: hands & wrists TEST BLOW

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:03:41 -0800

I don't use Jack's method, but I do generally use multiple digits for tuning
blows.  I generally don't pound as hard as I used to either, but I think
that is due to experience & improved hammer technique.  I probably
incorporate a good number of your suggestions, Hans, though I still use a
firmer blow.  However, I always use earplugs, & have done so for the last
15+ years.  I just wish I had started sooner.

Last night the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin played here at the University
Chamber series, & performed the Schnittke Piano concerto with one of our
faculty, Steve Spooner.  I dropped in to the rehearsal Wed. aft. to hear the
conductor urging Steve to give him more from the piano....and he was already
pounding the Schnittke out of it!

Yesterday morning I tuned the piano, which had held pitch, but had some
nasty unisons, and really pounded it in.  Otherwise, Steve would just pound
it out.  I went in later in the afternoon to check the piano over, only to
find another group rehearsing -- & using the concert piano.  They cleared
out just in time for the Kremlin Orchestra to come in for a final
rehearsal -- with piano.  So I ended up with only about 10-15 minutes to go
over the piano before the concert.  Fortunately, it was still in good shape.
It was gratifying to hear Steve get to a very quiet part at the end of the
concerto & find the unisons still solid.  In this situation, any other
method would have had me crawling under my seat -- it just wouldn't have
held.  However, I could enjoy the concert, knowing that it would stay.

That said, we have to be aware of the need to take care of our hearing & our
bodies.  I may not want to do this for the rest of my life....but when I
quit, I still want to be able to do something else!

Otto
(I'll save my tinnitus story for another post.  This one's too long
already.)