[CAUT] Institutional bench purchasing?

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:59:23 -0700

I have never bought into this idea.  We go to great lengths to keep the
pianos up both musically and, as much as possible, cosmetically.  Why would
we want to purposely provide ugly and tacky benches.  I would rather replace
the occasional disappearing or broken bench than have a bunch of eyesores at
the school of music.

We lose very few benches to theft and even fewer to structural failure.
Most of our replacements are forced upon us when the cost of refinishing
becomes greater than buying a new one.

Student workers are the key to bench longevity.  Weekly bench checks not
only replace missing benches (those moved to other rooms), but tighten loose
legs and lids.  Benches that cannot be tightened properly are brought down
to the shop and repaired before the legs and sides are damaged.

on 11/4/05 5:55 AM, Don at pianotuna@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Susan,
>
> Our dear departed freind Newton Hunt used to have the shop at the
> university make some boxes that had three possible heights depending on
> which side was placed on the floor. They were very sturday--made from 3/4
> plywood on a 2x2 frame I believe. They were also painted in some manner to
> make them "unattractive" to thieves. (yellow and black stripes anyone?)

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music