[CAUT] hand and wrist position

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:39:30 -0600

Why not bite the bullet and tune left handed?  Jim Geiger forced us students
to tune everything left-handed, and it was probably the wisest thing he did
when I was in school. I've been playing with an impact hammer, and placing
it in the 10-12 o'clock position makes an incredible difference in the
amount of force needed to move the pin. Right handed tuners are usually at
1-2 o'clock, where it take probably twice the torque to move the pin.  So
you could save a lot of strain, and a lot of actual calories of work.....
As I said in another post, I carry four hammers, and it is not uncommon that
I'll use them all on a single piano. It sort of spreads the strains out in
different ways and so relieves me of just one way of dealing with the piano.
I haven't learned how to feel the stability of the pin with the impact, but
on a pitch raise, I'm completely sold, and will continue till I learn to
deal with the pins because I think it is a marvelous tool.  I got a cheap
one from Schaff, and did a little work to put a nice soft handle on it, like
the $200-$300 ones, took a little of the weight off the end, and will
eventually probably use it exclusively on a lot of pianos.
les
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 4:08 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: [CAUT] hand and wrist position

  This is more or less related to the recent discussion about our hands and
wrists. We had a chapter meeting on Saturday at a Chiropractor's office.
He's been helping one of our members with aches and pains.

  When tuning an upright, right handed, he told me that the best position to
tune is to sit at a 45 degree angle to the piano, which is what I've been
doing, but to hold my lever so that my hands are with the knuckles towards
the pins. I was taught to hold the lever with my hand outstretched, with the
thumb pointing down to the head, and my little finger at the top of the
lever.

  I haven't had the chance to tune an upright yet, but do any of you hold
the lever the way the Chiropractor suggests?

  As far as a grand is concerned, we should hold the lever at then end, with
a ball. I've not been doing this either, but I know a lot of you are. I'll
get one, if there is one for sale, at the NCRC this weekend.

  Wim