[CAUT] hand and wrist position

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 09 Nov 2005 07:52:21 -0600

Cy,

At 07:26 AM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>When you float, relaxed, in water, your arms are in front of you, and your
>hands extend out with the thumbs up, palms facing each other.  Even typing
>on a flat keyboard flexes the wrists from this neutral position, which is
>why they've developed keyboards that are crowned up in the center:

Yeah, theoretically...  However, pianists and tuners who've been at it for
a while tend to have a relaxed position which is closer to parallel to the
keyboard.

After 30+ years of tuning, in the relaxed position when I let my arms just
hang down, my hands are past 45° toward that parallelism.  This comes in
handy when my knuckles drag on the ground because of years of schlepping
around heavy tool cases.  They're not being forced sideways... ;-}

>Assuming the tuning lever handle is pointing up on an upright, the "thumbs
>down, knuckles away from pins" position on the handle seems like a
>high-stress position for the hand, wrist, and shoulder.  I vote "thumbs
>up" instead.
>
>--Cy Shuster--

Thumbs up for thumbs up. I also sit at an angle and tune right handed.
Another reason I do is that it gets my elbow closer to the plane of the
pins and thus reduces the tendency to bend pins up or down.  Early on, I
found a test for that problem was to try to tune a console while it is
sitting up on a dolly. Pulling or pushing becomes VERY evident.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.