[CAUT] Balance rail on D

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:11:16 -0500

Wim,
I just got through replacing the balance rail pins on an L which had
become corroded by rodent, um, damage.  I replaced both the pins and
the bearings.  I had to glue size some of the holes (I just swabbed
the hole with a drop of Titebond before I tapped the pin in and it
worked wonderfully - I would lean against using epoxy because you
might need to remove them again in the event of, let's say, perhaps,
rodent damage?).  Other holes were extremely tight, and it didn't
matter whether the old pins were tight or not as tight - it was more
to do with inconsistency in pin sizes among both the original pins
and the replacements.  Took about one minute per balance rail pin,
but give an hour or so for breaks to visit with the family which was
in town.  Then, you have to resquare the keys and relevel them, of
course.

It was not a bad job at all.
Jeff