[CAUT] Large wire spool?

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:58:33 -0700

Hi Don,

=20

You really have to go out on a limb and try the stainless wire to
appreciate it. That being said, I will use Pure Sound wire whenever I
possibly can. Vince Mrykalo says the same. Here are the main advantages
I see so far:

=20

1.	No rust
2.	The sound is different, and you can best tell it with a side by
side comparison. It is a richer sound. It sounds like someone did a good
voicing job. It makes the piano sound bigger. It's really hard to
describe. I've got several pianos here that we're going to record and
study to analyze and when I do I'll publish it. For now, let's just say
I love it! I understand Jim Ellis is doing some studies. If that's true
you know he'll do a good job.
3.	Less inharmonicity. By about 1-2 cents using a SAT. IOW on an M
we measured the stretch number for A at 7 cents with regular wire and 6
with Pure Sound. Some notes had 2 cents difference.
4.	Very stable tunings. Two months after restringing I find they're
still right up to pitch! The wire bends a bit differently. It's simply
more stable. Less tunings for our practice room pianos.

=20

In Europe it is catching on rapidly. I understand Steinway (Hamburg) has
been doing some tests for the last two years and may use it in the near
future. Several other companies are looking at it.

=20

Drawbacks are:

=20

1.                   Costs about 20 - 30% more than conventional wire.

2.                   During the initial stringing it breaks a bit more.
(1- 2%?) Gregor Heller tells me that this is common but after this
initial stressing of the wire it breaks about the same as other wire.
BTW, Gregor immediately replaced the two strings that broke (For 2
pianos. I can't complain) In fact, I called Hellerbass on Tuesday and
Thursday the strings were here! (Go figure. I can't even get that
service across the State here.) Hellerbass is excellent!

3.                   Only Hellerbass and Arledge make the bass. Both do
a great job but Arledge insisted on making the German loops, which cost
about $70.00 more. Juan Mas Cabre says that this isn't necessary.

4.                   Long term...?? This worried me a bit, but I know
one individual who has been using it for 10 years and he says it's
great. Juan says it just gets better with age! My gut feeling is that
this will age even better that conventional wire because of no rust or
tarnishing.

=20

I'm not getting any royalties or anything for this. I'm just excited
about it because it seems to be a big improvement in a business where
such advancements are fairly rare. And I do believe this is a BIG thing!
I'm restringing everything I can with it. Stand by me long enough and
I'll probably resting you with it!

=20

Regards,

Jim Busby RPT