[CAUT] impact hammer, Wurlitzer piano

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:42:36 -0600

Two totally unrelated subjects......

Can someone with a good understanding of impact hammers and stability
explain to me how to "get stability" and "recognize it", using an impact
hammer?  Please feel free to mail me off-list.  It's a different animal than
a regular hammer, I know, but I can't quite figure how to figure it
out........

I tuned the tightest "pin block" I have ever seen today. It was so bad that
when I finished my muscles were just beginning to cramp....    It was a 1930
Wurlitzer baby grand, and when I put the hammer on the first pin I was
simply shocked. No Baldwin was ever this tight............   It was quite by
accident that I discovered there was no pinblock, but this was using the
plate as the block. The tuning pins were slotted from the bottom, each
having a wedge driven into the slot, much like a wedge is driven into the
handle of a "regular hammer" to hold the handle on by the outward pressure
caused by the wood.   Does anyone on the list know the history of this
notion, how it started, why it ended.  It was utterly fascinating to tune.
Couple loose pins, I simply tapped the wedge a bit tighter.  There would be
no wearing out, though it was tough on the muscles.........

thanks for any info.
les bartlett

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat