[CAUT] impact hammer, Wurlitzer piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:28:09 -0600

Les,

At 11:42 PM 11/10/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>I tuned the tightest "pin block" I have ever seen today. It was so bad that
>when I finished my muscles were just beginning to cramp....    It was a 1930
>Wurlitzer baby grand, and when I put the hammer on the first pin I was
>simply shocked. No Baldwin was ever this tight............   It was quite by
>accident that I discovered there was no pinblock, but this was using the
>plate as the block. The tuning pins were slotted from the bottom, each
>having a wedge driven into the slot, much like a wedge is driven into the
>handle of a "regular hammer" to hold the handle on by the outward pressure
>caused by the wood.   Does anyone on the list know the history of this
>notion, how it started, why it ended.  It was utterly fascinating to tune.
>Couple loose pins, I simply tapped the wedge a bit tighter.  There would be
>no wearing out, though it was tough on the muscles.........
>
>thanks for any info.
>les bartlett

No info, just confirmation.

I've been tuning one of those for a customer for about 20 years now and it
doesn't get any easier.
I understand that the Wegman (sp?) is a pretty good non-wood pin holding
system. I've never run across one, however. The WurliTzer is obviously an
excellent one if 70 year old pianos have ungodly tight pins.

Conrad Hoffsommer
I tried to get a life once, but they were all out of stock.