[CAUT] impact hammer, Wurlitzer piano

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:34:07 -0800

Actually the 2 subjects are closely related....For the Wurlitzer, with the
addition of a long handle and an extra large weight on the impact hammer (
it would now resemble a sledge), extra force could be applied to the
instrument in any way the tech deemed prudent to render the "pinblock"
pliable & take care of the problem permanently.

It will take some practice to get the feel of the impact hammer.  Contrary
to what one might think, excessively tight, jumpy pins are not good
candidates for impact tuning -- at least to get a fine tuning.  Those have a
high break-away friction, & low sliding friction, & the impact hammer tends
to exacerbate the problem by breaking the pin loose & causing the inertia of
the weight to over-shoot.

Use the impact for pitch-raises for awhile to get used to it.  You'll get
the feel for how hard to swing the hammer to achieve the result you desire.
The adjustable weight hammer I helped Schaff develop is handy to learn with,
since you don't have to control the swing so precisely, but can do so with
the leverage/inertia of the weight position.  After awhile the swing becomes
second nature.

Reyburn puts a rubber handle on his that makes it more comfortable to use.
However, a grip can easily be put on any of the others, giving you a very
functional tool for well under half the cost.  I installed a golf club grip
on mine -- on clearance @ Walmart -- cost less than a buck.

I rest my little finger on the top of the tip.  I found putting it between
the fingers to be uncomfortable.  Just place the hammer at/near the 12
o'clock position, swing, & let the weight do the work.  If you're not
keeping a relaxed grip, you are trying to do the work the hammer was
designed to do.  While I keep a relaxed grip, I'm in touch with what's
happening to the pin in the block.  I'm also aware of the pressure I put on
the axis of the pin, easing it up slightly to take the string pressure off,
allowing the pin to turn a bit easier, then I make sure I get the pin eased
back down into its neutral position (both on the axis & in the torque) so it
will stay where I put it.  At this point it's intuitive for me, so I'm not
sure I'm explaining it well.  The feel of the block, rendering of the
strings, etc., etc., all come into play, as they do with any hammer or
technique.  It just takes practice before it becomes second nature.

Otto