[CAUT] impact hammer

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:03:31 -0500

On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Otto Keyes wrote:

> If you guys had started out learning to tune with that level of
> patience & commitment you'd still be digging ditches!!

Nah, I had much more confidence in that first "Trophy" brand tuning
hammer than I felt with the impact hammer - at least the impact
hammer I tried.  It's one thing to have patience in learning a skill
-- completely something else to not have any confidence in the tool
used to do the job.  Like learning to dig a ditch with a shovel that
has a hinge in the handle.

Just like if I had to learn to tune with the finest Schaff hammers
that they sell today, I'd trade them for something that gave me more
control as soon as I found it.  Other folk seem to be able to use the
Schaff tools just fine.

> *&^%*()(%$%# thing won't work!  Must be the %^*&X@# hammer's fault!

Not what I meant at all.  I like the control I have with the tool I
use and was so VERY uncomfortable with the feel of the impact hammer
I didn't feel like it was worth pursuing for me at this time.  It
wasn't that I couldn't move the pitch precisely - it was that I had
absolutely no confidence or any way to test (feel) whether the pin
torque was at a balance and the tuning was stable.  Quite often the
tool would simply twist the pin - the pitch would move and the pin
did not move in the hole.  I just had zero confidence.

Not knocking the tool or the idea.  At this time in life, it's just
not something I have time to relearn, or the money to spend.

(Ditch digging might not be such a bad alternative. We'd be getting
exercise, fresh air, and if you get with the right company, you'd
probably earn more and have better benefits than many of us!)

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina