[CAUT] Teflon and felt bushings

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:25:29 -0600

Fred,

Ah.  When I started at IWU, I followed a technician who was hard of =
hearing--so he couldn't hear the Teflon clicking the faculty complained =
of.  His solution was to pin everything fairly tight.  <wince>   Anyway, =
I repinned the worst of them, but they were still on the heavy side.  =
There was no rebuilding budget at the time (and David Stanwood was just =
coming out with his touchweight stuff when I moved away).  I simply said =
that I had done what I could until the action could be replaced.

So, if there isn't a touchweight issue with a Teflon repetition and a =
felt hammer flange, the bulk of the problem must be in the hammer =
shank/flange.  Did the knuckle mounting distance change from Teflon to =
felt or was it just the nature of the Teflon?  Or, did the knuckle size =
change (or whatever)?

Barbara Richmond

PS  Following someone who cannot hear and won't admit it, is rough.  He =
also over-tightened screws--again to compensate for not being able to =
hear such clicking.  Dealing with broken damper wire set screws was my =
least favorite job.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Fred Sturm=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Teflon and felt bushings

  On Nov 14, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

    I need a history lesson here.  Were all those Teflon pianos I faced =
at IWU heavy just because they were Teflon or poorly pinned Teflon or a =
geometry problem or something else?    So what was the touchweight like =
on those hybrids?

    Barbara Richmond

  Hi Barbara,
      I have a hybrid D from 1981. No touchweight problems. The bulk of =
our B's, from 1965 or so (teflon I) are all teflon (other than the few I =
have replaced), and tend to have flange friction issues - and perhaps =
geometry in some cases - leading to touchweight problems (I investigate, =
see that the real answer is parts replacement, and put it off till =
later. No sense doing a bunch of work that I'll just redo or throw away =
later with new parts).

  Regards,
  Fred Sturm
  University of New Mexico