[CAUT] Teflon and felt bushings

Joel A. Jones jajones2@wisc.edu
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:53:54 -0600

Barb

Would you have had some of the early transition to teflon pianos
at IWU containing the felt knuckles?  UW-Madison had this situation with
Steinway of the late 60's early 70's.  I'm guessing there may be
some of those set-ups still in the field.

We boxed the hammer assembly and sent back to Steinway
where the new knuckles were replaced.  They did a great
service to our 40 grands, but I knew of other pianos
that didn't get the factory repair.

Problem came from the knuckles deforming and not remaining
round.  Replaced with the traditional knuckle the actions worked
very well.   The teflon was not replaced.

Is that what you were asking about?

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WIl
On Nov 14, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Fred,
> =A0
> Ah.=A0 When I started at IWU, I followed a technician who was hard of=20=

> hearing--so he couldn't hear the Teflon clicking the faculty=20
> complained of.=A0 His solution was to pin everything fairly tight.=A0=20=

> <wince>=A0=A0 Anyway, I repinned the worst of them, but they were =
still on=20
> the heavy side.=A0 There was no rebuilding budget at the time (and =
David=20
> Stanwood was just coming out with his touchweight stuff when I moved=20=

> away). =A0I simply said that I had done what I could until the action=20=

> could be replaced.
> =A0
> So, if there isn't a touchweight=A0issue with a Teflon repetition and =
a=20
> felt hammer flange, the bulk of the problem must be in the hammer=20
> shank/flange.=A0 Did the knuckle mounting distance change from Teflon =
to=20
> felt or was it just the nature of the Teflon?=A0 Or, did the knuckle=20=

> size change (or whatever)?
> =A0
> Barbara Richmond
> =A0
> PS=A0 Following someone who cannot hear and won't admit it, is rough.=A0=
=20
> He also over-tightened screws--again to compensate for not being able=20=

> to hear such clicking.=A0 Dealing with broken damper wire set screws =
was=20
> my least favorite job.
> =A0

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...