[CAUT] Teflon and felt bushings

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:43:38 -0600

moved when things got interesting--the full time, with benefits staff =
position had been approved AND a piano replacement and rebuilding =
program was put in place.  (I had also put the inventory list on a =
computer.)

My question is what caused the heavy touchweight in the Teflon actions.  =
Alan mentioned the problem of measuring because of resistance =
(interia?).  Was there anything else?=20

We have a 1920s B here at Braden Auditorium that got a new action =
sometime during the Teflon era!   It's heavy and I believe I will be =
getting permission soon to replace the action.  If I have time, I'll =
take a close look at the geometry of those parts.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Braden Auditorium  (not part of the School of  Music at)
Illinois State University   :-)=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joel A. Jones=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 12:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Teflon and felt bushings

  Barb=20

  Would you have had some of the early transition to teflon pianos=20
  at IWU containing the felt knuckles? UW-Madison had this situation =
with
  Steinway of the late 60's early 70's. I'm guessing there may be=20
  some of those set-ups still in the field.=20

  We boxed the hammer assembly and sent back to Steinway=20
  where the new knuckles were replaced. They did a great
  service to our 40 grands, but I knew of other pianos=20
  that didn't get the factory repair.=20

  Problem came from the knuckles deforming and not remaining
  round. Replaced with the traditional knuckle the actions worked
  very well. The teflon was not replaced.=20

  Is that what you were asking about?=20

  Joel
  Joel Jones, RPT
  Madison, WIl