[CAUT] Humidity Blues

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:03:56 -0600

Here in Laredo we are 2 hrs from Corpus Christie and 4 hrs from South
Padre Island.  Our climate is essentially coastal with high humidity
a constant issue.

I am looking for solutions for our high quality instruments to keep
the strings from rusting.   All of them have some level of corrosion
developing.  All are a few years young.  They all have quilted
covers.  One has a DC dehumidifier system under it.

I am wondering if an Edwards woven felt string-cover would afford the
additional protection we need to keep those strings from rusting
more.  It seems that we must be having enough of a temperature
differential occurring to cause condensation on the strings.  The
wool should buffer both temperature and humidity.

Anyone out there with experience successfully battling this?

Maybe PureSound Wire is the way to go.

Andrew Anderson
TAMIU, LCC, LISD, UISD