[CAUT] Humidity Blues

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:30:05 -0600

As I recall, the one D has two fifty watt rods and one 38/25 watt rod
under the belly plus another 38/25 under the keybed.  All of this is
under a thick Steinway quilted cover.  The pattern of corrosion is
more reminiscent of condensation then it is of mano
manipulation.  The piano is kept secure pretty much all of the time
and is out from under its cover only when on-stage before a concert
(also unplugged :-X).

The storage room it is in varies from 60-72% Rh that I have measured
while there.  The rods are always warm, the keybed one is funny on
the knees.  They have agreed to add a climate-controlled closet to
the budget for the D, sometime next year.  The only improvement I can
think of is a string-cover.  Wool has that water storage/buffering
ability and for condensation you have to have temperature cycling. I
think it should help.  Maybe it is only happening on stage.

Andrew Anderson
initials etc.