[CAUT] Tools in the car

Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:54:30 -0500

Hmm.  OK.  Let's see -

Your issues are:
1) Theft
2) Damage
3) Forgoing the beneficial exercise derived from carrying the stuff.  You
don't burn off THAT much playing pool, you know.

Theft -
It's to be assumed that you're not parking in a garage.  What are the
statistics of car break-ins in your neighborhood?  Like so many other
aspects of life, (such as your myriad investments), you want to ascertain
your level of risk tolerance. If you decide to leave some of your tools in
the vehicle, you should have a detailed list of what's there.  You should
have some back-ups of some of the  basic items, such as tuning supplies,
etc.  You should have the tools organized so that  items likely to be
damaged by cold (electronics, glues, other liquids, etc.) can be brought
in.  Any one-of-a-kind tools should come in, unless the risk factor is
extremely low.  For example, while I have a driveway, on a quite street,
(as opposed to what I had when I lived in Manhattan), I know that the local
weekly paper has a police blotter, detailing the various
nefarious  goings-on, such as thefts in school, and from parked cars.  I've
been fortunate, thus far.  And another thing. Syracuse is not small town,
from what I can see.  What, if any, concerns do you have with this stuff in
the car when you go on an urban job?

Damage

Other people have already dealt with this.  If you're worried about the car
getting too cold, maybe you could run an extension cord and plug in a damp
chaser! :O?

Forgoing the...whatever...

Actually this isn't a good reason to bring stuff in.  You already get
plenty of exercise, curling and ice fishing, NO?

Comrade in lassitude -

David Skolnik