[CAUT] Broadwood Temperament

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:51:27 -0500

Alan, Ed, Fred, et al,

I once had a circa 1830, 7'9" Broadwood piano that had a number of steps in
the string lengths in the middle of the scale.  The string lengths did not
follow a smooth curve, but had little irregular jogs in them.  Bridges were
original.  Does anyone know if these are related to some preferred
temperament, or were they just to accommodate changes in wire size?  A
rebuilder has the piano now, and I doubt he has done anything with it so far.

Sincerely,  Jim Ellis