[CAUT] Broadwood Temperament

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:56:59 -0700

Hi Jim,
     I don't think there would ever be a connection between stringing
scale and associated design features and temperament. And anyway,
Broadwood was one of the big promoters of the idea of equal
temperament. The Broadwood tuning instructions aren't, shall we say,
precise enough to produce a fine degree of equal temperament (they
are more or less on the lines of Braid White), but the intent is
definitely ET. The fact that tuners working for Broadwood, including
those considered the "best," actually produced tunings with strong
vestiges of well temperament is very interesting. But they didn't
learn those vestiges "from Broadwood," but rather from an aural
tradition of apprenticeship (this being speculation, but well grounded).
     We used to have a certain degree of this kind of tradition in
the US - I know the oldest member of our chapter, who learned from
his father, who learned from his father, had a series of chords he
would play to make sure the temperament "sounded right." He couldn't
really explain what he was listening for. It was on the lines of
"this is what a c major chord is supposed to sound like." Much of
that has been lost with the advent of our standard exam system, and
the kind of teaching that has been promulgated on a national basis.
     I find it very interesting also that in Germany, where there is
a strong guild tradition, and where until very recently you had to
have done the full course of study, apprenticeship and testing to be
called a Klavierbauer and set up shop to repair and maintain pianos
(European Union regulations have ended those controls), piano tuning
is not part of that system. Tuning is unregulated. It is considered
an "art."
     Now what does this mean in a practical sense? I speculate that
it means (or used to mean) that individual tuners learned their own
systems of temperament and stretch. There is (or was) a good deal of
variety out there, and individual tuners would probably "hide their
secrets." Musicians would be loyal to their tuner because only he/she
could make the piano sound that good.
     But maybe this is romantic poppycock <g>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu