[CAUT] Miking pianos

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:21:36 -0600

I'm no sound engineer, but I have seen a couple of them work.  What I have
observed:

Mike quality:  They have a specific "piano mike".  I don't know if it's the
same as would be used on other instruments, like horn or bass, but it's not
the same as used for PA or vocalist.

Mike placement:  Always near the bridge.  If you get it up near the hammers,
all you hear is attack.

After that, I have to echo what Conrad said:  what the sound guy does at the
mix board is critical.  Every summer I take care of the pianos for a small
music festival near here.  This past year, through some profound
miscommunication, we had a 5'2" grand on stage beside a 9' concert grand,
and they were supposed to be played together.  The sound guy was an absolute
magician.  He brought out frequencies in that little piano that I didn't
even hear when I was tuning it.  They ended up sounding pretty OK together.

Given the way you described the sound, my guess is that it happened at the
mixing board, not at the piano.  Not much you can do about that, unless you
want to expand your job description a little.  You were getting bored
anyway, right?  Ready for a new challenge. :-)

Regards,
Ken Z.