[CAUT] Rita Preparations

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:34:02 EDT

Avery

It is very commendable that you want to take all those precautions for the
pianos at school,
But in reality, do you really think that is going to be necessary? I'm not
saying that the pianos might be not be damaged, but in my opinion, that is not
part of your job description. If by chance the building is damages because of
a  hurricane. then what ever damage occurs will be the responsibility of the
university. As far as the information on your computer, if this information
is  that valuable to you, then take the computer with you to Ft.  Worth.
Otherwise, just leave it there. I would suggest shutting it down, so  that when the
power goes off, you're sure that all the information is saved.

This might sound non-caring, but I learned a long time ago that the
administration has different priorities than I do. We have a leaking roof  problem in
our building. I have voiced my concern several times to the chairman  that one
of these days water is going to damage a piano, and it will cost  thousands
of dollars to get it fixed. We're even getting new carpets in the  halls around
the rooms where the leaks are, the roof is still not fixed. So  why should I
care about the pianos, when the powers that be don't care enough to  fix the
roof.

Do your best to make sure your personal belongings are safe, back up  the
computer, and turn off the lights on your way out of town. Pray that your  house
survives, and hope that the building is still standing, with the pianos in
tact, when you get back.

Take care, and be safe.

Wim