[CAUT] Rita Preparations

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:40:56 -0400

This thread reminds me of this time last year when we were getting tons=20=

of rain as the remains of "Ivan" passed over us.  I was tuning our=20
newest Steinway B in a faculty studio when suddenly water started=20
dripping, almost running, out of the ceiling and directly on the piano.=20=

  It had never leaked there before.  We were so amazingly lucky that I=20=

just happened to be tuning that piano at that precise time and moved it=20=

immediately.

Chris

On Sep 20, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Avery Todd wrote:

>  At 09:44 AM 9/20/2005, you wrote:
>
>> On Sep 20, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Avery Todd wrote:
>>
>>> =A0it was suggested that one way we might be able to protect the=20
>>> pianos was to cover them in a plastic
>>  We're not as near the coast, so the winds generally aren't as strong=20=

>> here when hurricanes come through (well, I wasn't here for Hugo, and=20=

>> they say it was pretty rough here, still nothing like at the coast),=20=

>> but after hurricane Floyd dumped enough water to cause a leak into a=20=

>> new U3 on the third floor, we've been covering the pianos and the=20
>> organ on the 2nd & 3rd floors with plastic when a strong storm comes=20=

>> through.
>  I just heard that after doing a LOT of checking, out theatre manager=20=

> said there was already no plastic available. I also heard that there=20=

> aren't any more D batteries, either & the highways heading north are=20=

> already pretty well packed.
>
>  Avery
>

>> Jeff
>>

>>  Jeff Tanner, RPT