[CAUT] keyboard lab

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:36:04 -0700

We have a bunch of Kawais in our lab.  Had them about 2 years now & they =
seem to be doing okay, other than the usual headset trashing & =
disapperance, general student stupidity issues, etc. that you get with =
any piano lab.  I try to stay away as much as possible -- wooden stuff =
gives me enough headaches, so I plead ignorance with a clear conscience =
& empty mind.  :-)

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Granoff=20
  To: CAUT=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:44 AM
  Subject: [CAUT] keyboard lab

  Hello CAUTs,

  Anyone out there have any observations/experiences with keyboard =
teaching labs by any other maker than Yamaha?
  Some of you techs at larger schools may not deal with it at all, but =
here at HSU it has gradually become my responsibility to keep basic =
functions of our 26 station Yamaha keyboard teaching lab alive.  Our lab =
is 15 years old and its age is showing; replacing broken headphones, =
removing erasure debris, and cleaning off note names written on keys by =
dimbulb students is no longer adequate to meet the need.  We'd consider =
another Yamaha lab, but I would love to have some input regarding other =
makers setups from a reliability/usefulness standpoint.  Many aspects of =
this Yamaha lab seem to me unnecessarily proprietary and not really =
designed to stand up under daily abuse.
  Again, I realize many of you may not deal with this sort of thing at =
all, but I thought I'd try.

  Thanks in advance.

  Greg Granoff
  Humboldt State University