[CAUT] lab woes

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:07:37 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/2005 2:11:44 PM Central Standard Time,
stranges@Oswego.EDU writes:

I work  for a state college Wim-

*NO* money "miraculously appears"..

And I work at a state school in (upstate) *New York* which means..

Miracles only happen on 34th Street.

:)

This isn't part of my job description no- but it's not part of the audio
engineers job description either... it's just that I dig MOST of the   poeple I
work with and even though it IS funny to see Rob running up and down  the hall
listening to piano excercises by students- I feel kinda bad for  him.

(Plus I get a warm fuzzy when I see piano shaped objects.. maternal
instinct??)

Thanx all for your moral support!!!

:)

Stranges

Michelle.

I work for a state school, too, and it's surprising that when there is a
real need, the money does appear. As much as you dig most of your  fellow
workers, buying lab instruments, even if they do like PSO's, is not your,  or the
audio guy's, responsibility. Leave the buying to those who control  the money.

On a broader issue, I used to want to do as much as I could to help  the
department. I spent extra hours doing things that were none of my  business. I
went to almost every recital and concert. I volunteered to be on  committees, and
offered to help do what was necessary to get the work  done. Call me
skeptical, ( and I think there are a couple of us out that  that feel like I do), but
no matter how hard we work, and how much we support  the department, when it
comes right down to it, we're nothing more than a  hired hand to tune pianos.
You might dig most of your fellow workers, and they  probably like you, too,
but when it comes right down to it, most of them would  get rid of you in a
minute, or at most reduce your position to quarter time, if  it meant more money
for their pet projects.

Sorry for the rant.

Wim