[CAUT] lab woes

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:22:08 -0600

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:
>=20
>> Procuring equipment is the responsibility of the department chair.

In our department, procuring equipment is the responsibility of the person
needing it. The department chair does sign off on the purchase request, but
the research concerning what will be bought and from where is done by the
person who identifies the need, and perhaps more or less controls a
particular account (orchestra director orders parts, choral director orders
risers, oboe prof orders reed making equipment and supplies). If there is
money, and the request seems reasonable, the chair approves it. And then th=
actual purchase process is done by the requestor with the help of the
department accountant (in most cases by phone, using a =B3P-card=B2). The notio=
that the chair has the time, knowledge and ability to take all that on is,
frankly, absurd. There isn=B9t an anonymous =B3them=B2 who will handle the pesky
details of life. Unless you=B9re rich and can afford a personal assistant <g>=
.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico