[CAUT] lab woes

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:53:49 -0400

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> Procuring equipment is the responsibility of the department chair.

Well, here, final approvals of purchase requisitions are made by the
dean (or department chair in the case of schools with more than one
department).  But for the most part, all the dean is doing is
approving the use of departmental funds - not making the purchase, or
making the choice of equipment.  But even his hands are tied if the
item costs more than $1500 (a figure which hasn't been adjusted for
inflation in at least 20 years).  It then has to go to bid or you
must provide evidence of "sole supplier" before central purchasing
will allow it.

I would be all for moving our job descriptions to the place where we
have more managerial responsibility - i.e., hiring subcontract techs,
procuring equipment - or at least being more involved in procurement
decisions for anything with piano shaped keys, etc.

As long as our job descriptions limit us to tuning and repairing
pianos and imply that we answer to someone else who knows more about
what we do than we do we will never get the respect we deserve.  We
are, according to most current job descriptions, just hired hands.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina