[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:36:26 -0700

Well, of course South Dakota and most of the Plain states don't have ac=
cess to natural gas or oil.  They still burn peat and buffalo dung.   Y=
ou can only heat one room during the Winter and I'm even sure pianos ar=
e allowed during Winter months?
David I.

Original message
From: "Jeff Olson"
To: "College and University Technicians"
Subject: [CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

Many of you probably hail from "hardier" climates than I, and since I'm=
 about to move to a hardier (euphemism) climate -- South Dakota -- I've=
 been wondering about the effects of  sub-zero temperatures on pianos. =
 Do any of you who reside in cold climes store your pianos in a shop/ga=
rage over the winter.  If so, any negative consequences?

I'm fairly sure that wood finishing would be out of the question during=
 those cold months without adequate heating....

JeffO