[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

Cramer@BrandonU.CA Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:36:22 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Jeff,

Sub-zero temps seem to be hard on hide-glue joints.

I've heard that the glue crystalizes from freezing (though
I really don't know), but notice older pianos stored
unheated (sub-zero) over a number of seasons tend to fall
apart.

OTOH, in this climate, heating a shop to 70 degrees
throughout winter would likley mean an RH somewhere around
20% (our soundboards don't spend much time in the hot-
box), so if it's not already cracked...

Regarding finishing, you would want to heat your
shop/garage (5000w construction heater?), to prevent
humidity problems at very least.

Taking all safety precautions in hand (speaking from the
experience of a six-figure spray-booth fire) it's not that
hard to heat o/s air sufficient for spraying, even mid-
winter.

You might also consider an HVLP system that uses hot air,
and a thinner with a retarding agent.

We always considered three things; product temperature,
air temperature and surface temperature, and we made out
alright.

(We're a good 300 miles North of SD.)

best of luck!
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

> Many of you probably hail from "hardier" climates than
I, and since I'm
> about to move to a hardier (euphemism) climate -- South
Dakota -- I've
> been wondering about the effects of  sub-zero
temperatures on pianos.
> Do any of you who reside in cold climes store your
pianos in a
> shop/garage over the winter.  If so, any negative
consequences?

> I'm fairly sure that wood finishing would be out of the
question during