[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:05:06 -0500

Jeff,

Having lived in SD for 41 years and been a piano technician here for 34=20=

years I need to clarify a few things.  We don't get sub zero temps very=20=

often any more.  The wind chill can get it down there, but the past 10=20=

years have been pretty mild.  I really like a good blizzard because it=20=

is a gift:  absolutely helpless to do nothing but stay home or work in=20=

the shop.   It is a rather pressure releasing situation.  People who=20
try to beat a storm are considered foolish.  The winters have been=20
almost  too mild because we need the moisture from the snow to help the=20=

agricultural industry.  Agriculture is still our number one industry. =20=

Credit cards and health services are catching up, though.

There is more humidity in cold air than if you take the same air and=20
heat it.  Use a good humidity gauge and do a test to see the=20
differential.  I don't recommend to customers to store a piano in an=20
unheated area for more than a year.  The important aspect is not to=20
warm the piano too fast.  Condensation will develop.  My home piano=20
spent 5 years in an unheated garage before I did anything with it.  It=20=

is solid as a rock even though it isn't a top of the line  constructed=20=

piano.  I know technicians around here who have refinished in their=20
garages during the winter,  they just did the proper warming before and=20=

after spraying.

Hope this helps.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls

On Sep 26, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Jeff Olson wrote:

> Many of you probably hail from "hardier" climates than I, and since=20
> I'm about to move to a hardier (euphemism) climate -- South Dakota --=20=

> I've been wondering about the effects of=A0 sub-zero temperatures on=20=

> pianos.=A0 Do any of you who reside in cold climes store your pianos =
in=20
> a shop/garage over the winter.=A0 If so, any negative consequences?
> =A0
> I'm fairly sure that wood finishing would be out of the question=20
> during those cold months without adequate heating....
> =A0
> JeffO=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available