[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

central jorge1ml@mail.cmich.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:30:10 -0400

Jeff,
     We=B9ve kept pianos in cold storage without ill effects, but I=B9m not sur=
it was below freezing.  When moving into cold storage, it is important to
open the piano so the warm moist air escapes.  If warm air is trapped
inside, it may form condensation when it cools down.   I only cover and
close pianos if there is a threat of mice or other evils entering it.  The
cover should allow ventilation as temperatures will rise and fall.  Close
and cover a cold piano before bringing it in a warm place and open it only
after the piano has reached room temperature.  Otherwise condensation will
form all over it.   I suspect failure to follow these precautions is why so
many =B3barn pianos=B2 are so rusty and mildewed.
-Mike Jorgensen