[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:02:41 -0500

Jeff,

I believe I said "proper warming before and after spraying".  I didn't=20=

mean to turn off the heat right after you are done spraying.  Most=20
people have insulated garages if you are going to work in it during the=20=

winter.  If you are going to refinish in the winter which requires=20
higher heating costs, the cost needs to be built into your bid.  That's=20=

just the way it is around here.  It can be a shock to the unknowing how=20=

much it costs to heat a house in the upper plains.  I would suggest=20
buying a programable thermostat to regulate your house temp to save on=20=

your heating bills.  But you know, I really like winter.

If you need anything give me a call.  I'm in the PTG directory and the=20=

Sioux Falls phone book.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls

On Sep 27, 2005, at 6:26 PM, Jeff Olson wrote:

> Thanks, guys (and gal!) for the input.=A0 On second thought, I think I=20=

> may move to San Diego... :-)=A0 (Especially after reading your =
account,=20
> Otto, which was frightening on many different levels :)
> =A0
> So the winters have been mild, Tim?=A0 My aunt, who lives in =
Brookings,=20
> says the same thing.=A0 I'll be residing in a small town rather north =
of=20
> that, so I hope that holds (she's lately referred to a rumor about an=20=

> impending "harsh winter" that sounds almost like an anticipated ice=20
> age or something:).
> =A0
> This business of heating up the garage from very cold and then=20
> spraying, and then, presumably, letting the garage cool down some time=20=

> thereafter is somewhat worrisome to me.=A0 I don't doubt it could =
work,=20
> but it seems that if you didn't keep the place warm enough for some=20
> period -- a day or two? -- you'd be putting your finish at risk.=A0=20
> Also, unless the garage or shop is really insulated, even to keep at=20=

> it near-70% for a day or two would be costly, wouldn't it (that would=20=

> include keeping it warm all night)?=A0 I had thought, as John Ross=20
> suggested, to damp-chase any piano I had in my garage; the suggestion=20=

> about moisture rising from the cement floor struck me as a good=20
> caution (incidentally, John, any relationship to the famous Cherokee=20=

> Indian John Ross?)
> =A0
> Damn, I may just=A0take up ice fishing or something in the dead of=20
> winter instead of piano work...
> =A0
> :-(=A0 JeffO

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...