[CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:58:14 -0300

No relation, but when you Google, John Ross, he beats me. LOL
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Olson
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Query about "Cold Storage"

  Thanks, guys (and gal!) for the input.  On second thought, I think I may move to San Diego... :-)  (Especially after reading your account, Otto, which was frightening on many different levels :)

  So the winters have been mild, Tim?  My aunt, who lives in Brookings, says the same thing.  I'll be residing in a small town rather north of that, so I hope that holds (she's lately referred to a rumor about an impending "harsh winter" that sounds almost like an anticipated ice age or something:).

  This business of heating up the garage from very cold and then spraying, and then, presumably, letting the garage cool down some time thereafter is somewhat worrisome to me.  I don't doubt it could work, but it seems that if you didn't keep the place warm enough for some period -- a day or two? -- you'd be putting your finish at risk.  Also, unless the garage or shop is really insulated, even to keep at it near-70% for a day or two would be costly, wouldn't it (that would include keeping it warm all night)?  I had thought, as John Ross suggested, to damp-chase any piano I had in my garage; the suggestion about moisture rising from the cement floor struck me as a good caution (incidentally, John, any relationship to the famous Cherokee Indian John Ross?)

  Damn, I may just take up ice fishing or something in the dead of winter instead of piano work...

  :-(  JeffO