[CAUT] hammer burning experiment

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 2 20:45:23 MDT 2006

Subject: Re: [CAUT] hammer burning experiment

Jon,

IMO alcohol seems to burn (blacken) the shank easier than butane. As long as
the shank is held in the blue flame it won't burn. Don't you find this to be
true?

Jim

  _____

Subject: [CAUT] hammer burning experiment

>As I said, I heat the shank at the hammer. The question I have is,  where
do
>you guys heat the shank? How far from the hammer?

I heat with an alcohol lamp and wave the flame under the length of the shank

while holding/rotating the hammer in the corrected direction until the shank

heats up enough to feel it 'give'.  Hold the hammer for a few seconds longer

with no flame to set.  I was instructed not to concentrate the heat on one
spot.

Jon Page

"Where the flame is blue, there's no residue."  Steinway school.

Paul C