[CAUT] Baldwin SD

central jorge1ml at mail.cmich.edu
Mon Apr 3 06:41:35 MDT 2006

Avery,
   Is this sound similar to the sound made when an offset bass bridge has
come unglued or board has failed such that bass strings are rattling against
the plate?
    Even though it's in the tenor area, could the bridge be touching a plate
brace or some foreign object be wedged between the bridge and a brace
somewhere?  Could a foreign object be wedged between the board and plate or
beam under the piano?  Could someone have restrung the piano using wrong
wire sizes?  I've heard of stories from Baldwin reps of people who "Fixed
poor workmanship" by tapping down all the strings against the plate on
accujust pianos, thereby doing much damage.
     It sounds to me like a section wide issue rather than string leveling,
agraffs, or things that tend to manifest on single notes.
-Mike