[CAUT] downbearing gauge, homemade

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Thu Apr 6 07:34:17 MDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 9:25 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:
> Yes, don’t make it for sale without investigating. I tried to buy a
> Lowell gauge for several years running: back ordered and not
> filled. I finally asked and was told it might not become available
> again.

I remember a discussion on PTx about a year and a half ago on the
fate of the Lowell DB gauge. Someone who knew him checked to see what
his plans were and reported back that while active production of the
unit (mainly contracting with the plastics molding company for the
bodies) had lapsed because a particular stretch in his life didn't
have room for this sideline, he was now (then) ready to start
thinking about resuming. Based on pent-up consumer demand.

Also discuss was the business of "prior art", IOW how closely his
resembled what Baldwin was using in the factory and was issuing for
techs restringing accu-just hitchpin pianos. I think Del Fandrich
said that Baldwin turn a blind eye when Lowell applied for his patent.

> At which point I decided to make one, or a reasonable facsimile
> thereof. If someone wanted to challenge that patent, they might
> have a good case, based on its not having been exercised. I
> understand that if you get a patent, but then fail to make use of
> the item/process/whatever by manufacturing, making available to the
> public, the patent lapses, loses force. Not something I care to
> find out about, but if it isn’t true, it ought to be.

The business of prior art (which might come up in a patent
infringement suit against someone producing and marketing a similar
device) could be the basis on which the coma-hold he now has on this
item gets broken. Baldwin wasn't interested fifteen years ago. Gibson
might now be. Then again, Tom Lowell himself might be edging closer
to reviving production (a year and a half later).

There's definitely pent-up demand.

william ballard
wbps at vermontel.net

"All men are dogs. Some just make better pets".
     ...........Recently seen on a back bumper