[CAUT] Baldwin SD (agraffe refurbishing)

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Apr 6 12:46:48 MDT 2006

Hi Tim,

I believe I said "beware of... stringing felt," and I certainly don't
"suggest" it. (but then my memory can be a fickle thing ;>)

Lifting on the non-speaking side for voicing is an interesting thought
though, and we know it works at the capo.

Here's a question I think is worth keeping in mind:

When we lift string on the speaking side, do we picture the string "bending"
or "rocking?"

It's likely a little bit of both, which makes your point a good one, as
lifting the speaking length may have lowered the non-speaking length.

As for refurbishing agraffes Tim, I agree.

Another question comes to mind though:

How long does that nice crisp "hour-glass" profile last? IOW, does the "V"
shaped termination quickly become a "U" shape after a few tunings and some
string-lifting?

(recall the capo argument a few decades back; "shape it to a knife edge and
let the string gently round it over")

On that presumption, we've abandoned "recentering" to a crisp profile, in
favour of the rounded profile we get from shoe-shining with abrasive cord.

IOW, having yet to saw through an agraffe to prove this speculation, we feel
the rounded internal profile (optimally creating a seat wider than the
string diameter) is closer to the profile the string will impress into the
brass over time. The thought being; this termination will last longer.

Any comments?

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

Mark,

You and I have talked about the problem with the agraffes before.  I
have had limited success with lifting and thicker stringing felt as you
suggest.  The buzzes still come back.  Although,  I have started using
the lifting on the non speaking side of the agraffe as an important
voicing tool.  The strings really come to life.  I have posted to this
list before about lifting the non speaking segment but was totally
ignored.

It doesn't take a scientific mind to try it.  Just someone who knows
not to pull the agraffe out of the plate.

As I have stated several times the only sure fire method to get rid of
the agraffe buzzes is to properly refurbish them.

Jim Busby:  I have not ignored your post about the methods used to
refurbish the agraffes.  I have not had time to put it together, as
there are some items I need to clarify with my subcontracted labor (a
PTG Associate).  At least at this point he is now willing to share his
methods.

Tim Coates