[CAUT] To Plate Or Not To Plate...

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Sat Apr 8 08:49:43 MDT 2006

Jon,

I personally don't know about the plating issue.  I have a suggestion
about pounding the pins though.  Wait to do your final leveling of the
pins until after the piano is quite stable.   There are many processes
to be done to make the strings stable.  One I outlined yesterday with
the agraffes (which is done before the strings are installed).

The string cuts into the bridge pin as you do the chip tunes.  If you
don't believe me pull a pin and look at it after you have done 4 chip
tunings.

By leveling the bridge pins as the final stage in the stringing process
you are making sure the string has a much better chance of a clean
sound for years to come.   If you already do this, then disregard my
suggestion.

There are some who will argue that driving the pins this late in the
stringing process drives the string into the bridge, thus crushing the
wood fibers.  There are trade offs in anything we do.  I happen to see
better results by using this method.

Tim Coates