[CAUT] tuning for the local orchestra

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 09:27:41 MDT 2006

The local symphony orchestra, (Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra), performs on
our main stage 6 times per year. Most of our applied professors play with the
TSO, as well as some of our students and they get paid. So it's good  training
for them.

On the average, there are 2 or 3 piano soloists each year. Obviously  they
use one of "our" grands, which I prep for each concert. Sometimes it's  just a
matter of tuning and minor voicing, but most often it requires some  additional
work, as specified by the performer. Although most of the work  is done
during regular working time, there are occasions where I have to come in  on a
weekend, or be present for the performances, which are on Monday night.  This
weekend the TSO, along with the local Community Chorus, (in which I  sing), is
performing Carmina Burana, which requires two grands.  Because of the size of the
stage, instead of using our two D, we've decided to  pull two Kawai KG2
grands out of practice rooms.  They will be moved  on the stage late this
afternoon, and back on Tuesday morning. I tuned them  this morning, and I will also
tune them Monday afternoon.

The TSO pays rent to use the hall, including rehearsals, etc., but I  have
never charged them for any of the work I do, for the most part, as I  said,
because most of the work I do is during regular working time, when I  am on the
clock, and also because I want to be a supporter of the Symphony.  I do get free
tickets to the concerts, but because the concerts are at the  same time that
the chorus rehearses, I don't get to attend that often.

How do some of you with similar situations handle this? Do you do this as
part of your university job, or do you charge them separately. If so, how  much?

Wim