[CAUT] Iodine for matching keytop color?

Jeff Olson jlolson at cal.net
Mon Apr 10 11:40:22 MDT 2006

Has anyone here used this technique to match new plastic keytops
with old?  A customer's piano has a couple of chipped keys in an
otherwise good set, but of course the plastic (circa 1952) is a
slightly yellower color than new off-white that I have (or have
seen).  In the past my experiments with changing the color of new
keys haven't been particularly impressive.  Any technique
suggestions would be welcome.  Another tech suggested iodine...

Best,

Jeff O.