[CAUT] CAUT budgets, was Tuning....

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Apr 11 13:09:40 MDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 12:30 AM, Rick.Florence at asu.edu wrote:

> I mention the use of the accounts with the spending cards to offer
> Wim ,perhaps,
> a little ammunition.  I can't imagine running a shop and service
> department with
> much efficiency if I had to request funds for every part I need.
> Having the
> cards allows me to make purchases at any time without waiting for
> the red tape.
>  We also try to keep a year's worth of parts on hand for two
> reasons: 1. There
> is less down time, 2. In the occasional lean year (it has happened
> with our
> legislature), our service does not grind to a halt.
>
> Rick

Man, I'm jealous.  I have an account, but I have to go through the
purchase requisition process if I need a new bottle of glue or a size
8 wood screw.  Then, only the finance manager can use the card to
make the purchase, or else I have to go through all kinds of
paperwork to be reimbursed for small purchases. It's a pain, and like
you'd probably suspect, a lot doesn't get done because of red tape.

Regarding your statement about the "occasional lean year" (we're just
coming out of a string of the worst "lean years" this school has seen
in decades - or at least I hope we're coming out of it), how are you
able to roll over funds from one budget year to the next?  The only
way we can do that here is to use an account that charges a usage
fee.  It costs me nothing to save the money and it can roll over and
build up, but there is an 8% surcharge to spend it.  You can't get a
VISA debit card with this type of account.  The only way we can have
an account with a debit card is the type where you have to use every
penny by June 30, or lose it.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina