[CAUT] tuning for the local orchestra

Rick.Florence at asu.edu Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Fri Apr 7 22:30:46 MDT 2006

This seems like a rather odd situation for a University Technician.  Perhaps I
am a little naive/spoiled, but because I (I have always presumed "we") have such
a flexible schedule involving weekends and evenings, I choose when I am on the
clock.   The fact I service a piano between the hours of 8 and 5, has no bearing
on whether I am working for the university or not.  There is the occasional
request from the Director to cover an unusual event, but it doesn't happen very
often.

That being said, at ASU the policy is that any event not specifically a School
of Music event is billed for services and/or rental.  Depending on how many
hours I choose to work that week, I have the choice between billing privately
(on my own time) or billing as an ASU technician and putting the funds in a
local piano account that I have access to with a visa card.  Piano rental funds
are always deposited in the account.  This account is separate from the yearly
piano fund I am given for general upkeep, which is accessible through PO or visa
card.

I mention the use of the accounts with the spending cards to offer Wim ,perhaps,
a little ammunition.  I can't imagine running a shop and service department with
much efficiency if I had to request funds for every part I need.  Having the
cards allows me to make purchases at any time without waiting for the red tape.
 We also try to keep a year's worth of parts on hand for two reasons: 1. There
is less down time, 2. In the occasional lean year (it has happened with our
legislature), our service does not grind to a halt.

Rick